Jacobs and Chase continue to lead the field of Operations Management with cutting edge up-to-date content, technology, and motivation. Now, in this Second Edition Jacobs and Chase focus on the core concepts of operations and supply management. This condensed text was constructed with sections on the four essential core areas'strategy, process management, supply chain management, and inventory and control (supply and demand planning). This set of four core areas was first suggested by a panel of OM instructor's at the Decision Science Institute meeting, and has been verified by market research which examined course syllabi from across the US.
The Second Edition provides increased emphasis on supply management concepts, integrates sustainability as a strategic consideration, and includes updated company applications, problems, and cases.
Operations and Supply Management: The Core, Second Edition
Strategy and Sustainability
Chapter 1: Operations and Supply Chain Management
Chapter 2: Strategy and Sustainability
Manufacturing and Service Processes
Chapter 3: Strategic Capacity Management
Chapter 4: Production Processes
Chapter 5: Service Processes
Chapter 6: Quality Management and Six-sigma
Chapter 7: Projects
Supply Chain Processes
Chapter 8: Global Sourcing and Procurement
Chapter 9: Location, Logistics and Distribution
Chapter 10: Lean and Sustainable Supply Chains
Supply and Demand Planning
Chapter 11: Demand Management and Forecasting
Chapter 12: Aggregate Operations Planning
Chapter 13: Inventory Control
Chapter 14: Material Requirements Planning
A. Linear Programming Using the Excel Solver
B. Learning Curves
C. Answers to Selected Problems
D. Present Value Table
E. Negative Exponential Distribution
F. Areas of the Cumulative Standard Normal Distribution
New to this Edition
- Strengthened Supply Chain Management Material: This is particularly true in the areas of purchasing and strategic sourcing, and in lean supply chain analysis.
- Sustainability Coverage: Sustainability is introduced in Chapter One and then is a major component of the Strategy chapter (Chapter 2). Sustainability has been woven into the book in several areas including quality management and value stream mapping, purchasing and global sourcing, and lean supply chain analysis.
- Reorganization Based on Input from Users: The authors split out the Strategy material from the first chapter and created a new chapter 2 focused on Strategy and Sustainability. Another change was to move Project Management from Chapter 2 to Chapter 6, within the `Process Management? section.
- End of Chapter "Super Quiz?: Designed to allow students to see how well they understand the material using a format that is similar to what they might see in an exam. The super quiz includes many `straight forward? review questions, but also has a selection which `test? for mastery and integration/application level understanding, i.e. the kind of questions that make an exam challenging. The super quizzes include short answers at the bottom so students can see how they perform.
- Screencam Tutorials--Step-by-Step Workthrough of the Text Examples. These ScreenCam tutorials are intended to serve as an always available detailed review of the analytics within the text. They will be available free to students on the text Web site.
- High Interest Company Coverage: They include Apple, GE, Toshiba, Harley-Davidson, FedEx, Wal-Mart and many more.
- Test Bank questions have been tagged with Bloom's Taxonomy and the applicable AACSB area making it easier to tie assessment to student learning outcomes.
McGraw-Hill Connect Plus Operations Management
McGraw-Hill reinvents the textbook learning experience for the modern student with Connect Plus Operations Management. A seamless integration of an eBook and Connect Operations Management, Connect Plus Operations Management provides all of the Connect Operations Management features plus the following:
- An integrated eBook, allowing for anytime, anywhere access to the textbook.
- Dynamic links between the problems or questions you assign to your students and the location in the eBook where that problem or question is covered.
- A powerful search function to pinpoint and connect key concepts in a snap.
And, Connect Plus is now available with a new book at no additional charge!
Connect Features available with this title:
- End-of-Chapter Content
- Algorithmically Generated End-of-Chapter Problems
- Test Bank
- Algorithmically Generated Test Bank
- Instructor Resources
- Up-to-date coverage of Supply Chain Management, Enterprise Resource Management, Six-Sigma, and Lean Manufacturing--the topics that companies focus on today.
- Boxes featuring best practices at real companies
- Engaging short cases featuring real companies such as Toshiba, IKEA, Sony and interesting exercises.
- Internet Beer Game and E-OPS Game are popular with instructors and students.
- Concise: Covers all the core concepts of OM in 14 short chapters. The second edition is approximately 550 pages.
- Balance of quantitative and qualitative material, as well as the examples from manufacturing and services
What you need, where you need it.
McGraw-Hill Ryerson provides centralized online access to our supplemental resources. Many of our in-class solutions are supported by superior teaching aids like presentation ready PowerPoint slides, instructor's manuals, test banks, videos, and more. Text book supplements are accessible through the online McGraw-Hill Connect™ platform. Titles currently not supported by Connect are available via text specific Online Learning Centres.
McGraw-Hill CONNECT is available for key titles. CONNECT is an online platform proven to increase student results. It includes an eBook, adaptive learning tools, and interactive exercises. Go digital and save. CONNECT is a holistic solution that is available standalone to provide students with a low-cost option. Alternatively CONNECT is available packaged with most texts. Titles without CONNECT offer accompanying websites with supplementary study resources.